In the box - and how to store it
This Week's Recipes
1. IN THE BOX (IN ORDER OF WHAT TO EAT FIRST):
*Items in Box for 2
* Chard- Remove any bands, twist ties, etc. Most greens must be kept in an air‐tight container with a damp cloth to keep them from drying out. Kale, collard greens, and chard do well in a cup of water on the counter or fridge. Keeps 2-3 days.
* Garlic Chives- Store in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic. Should last 3-5 days.
* Zucchini- Does fine for a few days if left out on a cool counter, even after cut. Wrap in a cloth and refrigerate for longer storage. Do not wash until ready to eat. Lasts 4-5 days.Eggplant- Does fine left out in a cool room. Don't wash it, eggplant doesn't like any extra moisture around its leaves. For longer storage - place loose, in the crisper. Keeps 5-7 days.
* Eggplant- Does fine left out in a cool room. Don't wash it, eggplant doesn't like any extra moisture around its leaves. For longer storage - place loose, in the crisper. Keeps 5-7 days.
* Grapes- Store, unwashed, in your refrigerator's fruit drawer. They last up to a week.
Parsley- Place in a glass with an inch of water in the fridge. Change water often. Can also be stored in a closed container in the fridge. Lasts up to one week.
Peppers- Avoid direct contact while handling chiles as they contain oils that can burn your eyes. Wrap in a towel and store in a paper bag in your crisper. Keeps 1 - 2 weeks.
* Tomatoes- Depending on ripeness, tomatoes can stay for up to two weeks on the counter. To hasten ripeness, place in a paper bag with an apple.
* Onions- Store in a cool dry place out of the light. Lasts 2-3 months.
Potatoes- Store in a cool, dry, dark place. Should keep for a week or more easily. If you want to store them for longer, say 2 or 3 months, keep them between 45-55 degrees, again in a dry place out of the light.
2. THIS WEEK'S RECIPES
3. SHOPPING LIST FOR ALL RECIPES (ASSUMES YOU HAVE SALT, PEPPER, AND WATER):
Shopping list for Stir Fried Garlic Chives with Chile
1 Tb Peanut Oil
1 tsp dried Hot Red Pepper Flakes
Shopping list for Pulled Pork & Roasted Tomato Donburi
21/2 lb Pork Shoulder Roast
2 tsp Liquid Smoke
4 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Shopping list for Zucchini and Potato Pancakes
1 large Egg
1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
2 - 4 TB Sunflower Oil
Shopping list for Iranian Eggplant and Yogurt Spread with Saffron
1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 cup (125g) labneh
pinch saffron threads
1/2 cup (50g) toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped