Dear Friends of Eatwell Farm, I am hoping to reach as many of you as possible who are members, friends or regular customers of Eatwell Farm at the Ferry Plaza’s Saturday Market. In case you haven't heard, at the beginning of the year Nigel Walker was diagnosed with multiple myeloma-- a cancer of the plasma cells in one’s bone marrow. He went to see a doctor for severe back pain and learned he had a tumor on his spine that would paralyze him, let alone take his life, if left untreated. He was immediately brought to UCSF and spent the last three weeks undergoing the barrage of tests and treatments that follows such news. He is home now, resting before beginning chemotherapy.
Nigel has always been a farmer with great tenacity and spirit and even a diagnosis of cancer has not slowed him down. In a letter posted on the Eatwell website Nigel said, “I have everything to live for and quite frankly have only just got up to speed. I was asked by a doctor about my mental health, asking if my glass was half full or half empty. My reply was overflowing. I consider myself extremely lucky. I love what I do.”
We love what Nigel does too, and we know that this is the time when we should come together and support him. This community of sustainable food lovers is a generous and joyous group, and there are many ways we can both wish him well and offset the considerable costs of treatment.
- Join us for an evening of delicious food, drinks, camaraderie, and community support. On Sunday, February 26, Tacolicious restaurant in the Mission has generously opened their private dining room for a reception. Tickets are $45 per person and are available here: http://nigelwalkerbenefit.eventbrite.com/. All funds from ticket sales go directly to Nigel as the food and beverage is being donated.
- Contribute an item or service to the auction held at the reception. Are you a massage therapist, dog walker, hair stylist, accountant (whatever!) willing to spare some of your time and talent? We’d love to auction it off! Do you own a restaurant or shop and can share a gift certificate with us? Please contact me at email@example.com and let me know what you would like to contribute.
- Encourage your friends who are not already members of the farm try out the CSA box. http://www.eatwell.com/new-members/csa-faq/
- Keep positive thoughts, daily, of recovery for Nigel. Send cards, post encouraging words on their Facebook Page, envision wellness. You don’t have to part with any money to support Nigel and be a member of this community. But if you have any to spare, we won’t stop you!
- Can’t attend the dinner? Donate online in any amount and the funds will go directly to Nigel. CUESA will receive the funds via the online channel Crowdrise, and 100% goes to the Walker family. http://www.crowdrise.com/NigelWalkerFund
Our goal is to raise at least $10,000 to offset the medical bills Nigel will be facing as he goes through treatment.
Any contribution you can make is sincerely appreciated by us at CUESA, and by Nigel, his wife Lorraine, his family and all the Eatwell Farm crew. We are all rooting for him and want to show him how much he means to our community. Please email or phone at anytime if you can contribute or have other ideas for how to help.
Many thanks,Christine E. Farren Director of Development Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture One Ferry Building, Suite 50 San Francisco, CA 94111 Phone: 415.291.3276 ext 101 Fax : 415.291.3275 firstname.lastname@example.org