Want to try your hand at your own pasta dough? Bravo! Here’s Mario Batali’s classic. People have been making this for ages. If your first batch doesn’t work out, try again! It’s fun, and a great way to relax into making your meal from start to finish. If you want a smaller batch, just use 2 cups flour and 2 eggs. The ratio is 1 egg for every 1 cup of flour, so you can scale up or down as needed.
2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 cups 00 Flour (or just use 4 cups All Purpose)
4 large eggs
1. Mound the flour in the center of your cutting board, and make a well in the middle.
2. Crack the eggs into the well, and using a fork beat the eggs a little and then begin incorporating the eggs into the flour, starting with the inner rim.
3. Once you have half the flour incorporated, the dough will start to come together. You can begin kneading it using the palm of your hand primarily. Continue to knead for about 10 minutes, adding small (I mean really small) amounts of flour as needed.
4. Pasta dough is slightly tacky when done.
5. Make a disc of your dough, and wrap in plastic. Let rest on the counter for 30 minutes before using. Refrigerate for up to a week if you decide to make it ahead.