Join Nigel for a Food Forest Planting Practical on Eatwell Farm. At Eatwell Farm, permaculture is fundamental to the way our crops are grown and the soil is managed so that we can continue to farm sustainably now and in the future.
By using following the guidelines of permaculture and food forest design, the farm will see a boost in resilience and perennial crops, will decrease fuel usage, and expand the diversity of the farm.
During the practical, attendees will learn about cover crops and soil building, design implementation, and fertility management. We will also spend part of the day planting trees, shrubs and herbs on the farm according to Nigel's permaculture design. Attendees are encouraged to bring a shovel, hand trowel and gloves, as part of the practical includes planting.
Food Forest Practical Itinerary:
- Examine the permaculture design, walk the site and lay out the plant positions
- Discuss cover crop and soil building
- Tour the nursery on the farm and select plants and trees for planting
- Plant trees, shrubs and herbs using various techniques
- Learn about the different types and uses of irrigation and mulching
CSA Members are given a discount code with which they may purchase tickets at a lower rate. If you are a CSA member, please email email@example.com for your discount code.
A hot lunch will be provided for an additional $10 to those who purchase a ticket including the lunch. Those who wish to bring a picnic lunch may do so. Camping overnight on the farm is optional to those who wish to stay longer than the afternoon.
CSA Members without lunch: $30
CSA Members with lunch: $40
Non Members without lunch: $50
Non Members with lunch: $60
What to bring:
- Wear clothes that can get dirty, sturdy shoes and a hat.
- Water Bottle
- Lunch (if you didn't purchase a ticket that includes lunch)
- Hand Trowel
- Work Gloves
Registration begins at 8am, and the practical will start at 8:30.