In the box - and how to store it
This Week's Recipes
Link to Digital Copy of Newsletter
1. IN THE BOX (IN ORDER OF WHAT TO EAT FIRST):
*Items in Box for 2
* Chard- Remove any bands, twist ties, etc. Most greens must be kept in an air‐tight container with a damp cloth to keep them from drying out. Kale, collard greens, and chard do well in a cup of water on the counter or fridge. Keeps 2-3 days.
Garlic Chives- Store in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic. Should last 3-5 days.
* Zucchini- Does fine for a few days if left out on a cool counter, even after cut. Wrap in a cloth and refrigerate for longer storage. Do not wash until ready to eat. Lasts 4-5 days.
Radishes- Remove the greens (store separately) so they don't draw out excess moisture from the roots. Place them in an open container in the fridge with a wet towel placed on top. Lasts up to one week.
Basil- Trim the ends and place basil in a glass containing about 1 inch of water; then cover with a loose-fitting plastic bag and leave at room temp. Replace the water whenever it gets cloudy. Should keep for about a week.
* Cabbage- Wrap cabbage in plastic wrap and keep it chilled in the refrigerator. An alternative to plastic would be placing it in a tightly-locking container that limits air flow. Properly stored, cabbage should last about a week.
* Potatoes- Store potatoes in a cool, well-ventilated place. Don't wash the potatoes before storing as dampness promotes early spoilage. Will last at least one week.
* Parsley- Place in a glass with an inch of water in the fridge. Change water often. Can also be stored in a closed container in the fridge. Lasts up to one week.
* Tomatoes- Depending on ripeness, tomatoes can stay for up to two weeks on the counter. To hasten ripeness, place in a paper bag with an apple.
Grapefruit- Grapefruits can be stored at room temperature for a couple of weeks or refrigerated for up to several weeks. Keep away from direct sunlight and heat.
Garlic- Store whole in a cool dry place around 55-60 degrees. Can last 3-5 months.
2. THIS WEEK'S RECIPES
3. SHOPPING LIST FOR ALL RECIPES (ASSUMES YOU HAVE SALT, PEPPER, AND WATER):
Shopping list for Creamed Potatoes with Dill
2 TB Butter
2 TB Flour
1 1/2 cups Cream
1/4 tsp White Pepper
2 TB finely chopped fresh Dill
Shopping list for Lazanki - Pork, Cabbage and Pasta Casserole
2 cups Flour - can be wheat, rye or buckwheat
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Vegetable Oil
3/4 lb Pork Shoulder
1/4 lb Smoked Sausages
1 medium Onion
1/2 tsp Salt
2 TB Vegetable or Olive
10 oz Cream
1/2 lb grated hard Cheese
Shopping list for Chard with Raisins, Pine Nuts, and Porkitos
2 tablespoons raisins
3 tablespoons pine nuts
2 tablespoon ghee
Juice from ½ lemon
3 Porkitos (Prosciutto Chips)
Shopping list for Linguine with Tomatoes, Zucchini and Herbs
1 small red chile, seeded and minced
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
12 ounces linguine
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
4. CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEWSLETTERS PAGE AT WWW.EATWELL.COM. CLICK ON THE DATE OF THE NEWSLETTER TO DOWNLOAD A PDF COPY OF THIS WEEK'S NEWSLETTER IN COLOR.