In the box - and how to store it
This Week's Recipes
1. IN THE BOX (IN ORDER OF WHAT TO EAT FIRST):
*Items in Box for 2
* Zucchini- Does fine for a few days if left out on a cool counter, even after cut. Wrap in a cloth and refrigerate for longer storage. Do not wash until ready to eat. Lasts 4-5 days.Eggplant- Does fine left out in a cool room. Don't wash it, eggplant doesn't like any extra moisture around its leaves. For longer storage - place loose, in the crisper. Keeps 5-7 days.
* Plums- Plums should be stored at room temperature until ripe. After ripe, refrigerate as necessary to prevent spoiling. Will last up to 5 days.
Basil- Trim the ends and place basil in a glass containing about 1 inch of water; then cover with a loose-fitting plastic bag and leave at room temp. Replace the water whenever it gets cloudy. Should keep for about a week.
Eggplant- Does fine left out in a cool room. Don't wash it, eggplant doesn't like any extra moisture around its leaves. For longer storage - place loose, in the crisper. Keeps 5-7 days.
* Grapes- Store, unwashed, in your refrigerator's fruit drawer. They last up to a week.
* Parsley- Place in a glass with an inch of water in the fridge. Change water often. Can also be stored in a closed container in the fridge. Lasts up to one week.
* Cucumber- Cucumbers can be wrapped in a moist towel in the fridge. If you’re planning on eating them within a day or two after buying them they should be fine left out in a cool room. Lasts up to a week in the fridge.
* Tomatoes- Depending on ripeness, tomatoes can stay for up to two weeks on the counter. To hasten ripeness, place in a paper bag with an apple.
Onions- Store in a cool dry place out of the light. Lasts 2-3 months.
* Potatoes- Store in a cool, dry, dark place. Should keep for a week or more easily. If you want to store them for longer, say 2 or 3 months, keep them between 45-55 degrees, again in a dry place out of the light.
2. THIS WEEK'S RECIPES
3. SHOPPING LIST FOR ALL RECIPES (ASSUMES YOU HAVE SALT, PEPPER, AND WATER):
Shopping list for Easy Bay Ganoush
1 Tb plain Yogurt
1 q1/2 TB Tahini
1 clove Garlic
1 TB Lime of Lemon Juice, more if you like
1/2 tsp to 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Sumac, more for garnish
Toasted Pine Nuts for garnish
Shopping list for Chunky Zucchini & Tomato Salad
3 TB Olive Oil, plus extra to finish
2 1/3 cups Greek Yogurt
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
2 Red Chiles, seeded and chopped
Grated Zest of 1 Lemon, and 2 TB Juice
1 TB Date Syrup, plus extra to finish
2 cups Walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 TB chopped Mint
Shopping list for Parsley & Barley Salad
1/4 cup Pearl Barley - you can substitute farro, spelt or wheat berries
5 oz Feta Cheese
5 1/2 TB Olive Oil
1 tsp Za’atar
1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
1/4 tsp ground Cumin
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
1/3 cup Cashew Nuts, lightly toasted and coarsely crushed
1 Green Pepper, seeded and cut into 3/8” dice - we used Lunchbox Pepper
1/2 tsp ground Allspice
2 TB freshly squeezed Lemon Juice